Monday, September 29, 2008

Hospital stay

I don't even know where to begin right now...I went into the hospital Saturday around lunchtime and just came home today. I was having bad cramping and contractions on Saturday so we decided to have me checked out fully expecting to just be sent home and told to take it easy. That wasn't the case. I am 1cm dilated and my cervix shortened from 3.47 to 2.1cm which is not good. My contractions were coming every 3 minutes and weren't stopping so they admitted me. I was put in Procardia to try to stop the contractions which it was helping with however my body could just not tolerate the medicine. It's a smooth muscle relaxer which is why it relaxes your uterus and helps stop contractions however it also effects your heart rate and blood pressure. My blood pressure kept dropping to dangerously low levels so they have to stabilize me and try to change my meds. I was switched to Brethine and it works to help stop the contractions however has nasty side effects also. I shake uncontrollably, my heart races, get intense head and spinal pain, and get very sick to my stomach. I was also given 2 steroid injections to help develop the babies lungs in case they come early. However, it's all worth it to keep these babies in for at least another 5 weeks. Right now I am taking things two weeks at a time in regards to the babies. My next big milestone to hit is 32 weeks, then 34, and finally full term at 36. For me I'm just trying to take things one day at a time and follow the doctors orders to the letter. I have to go to the doctor tomorrow and will hopefully get more positive news tomorrow. I have so much more to say but that's it in a nutshell. If you're the praying type, say a little prayer for us that we can keep these babies in for a while longer.

No comments: